Pipes and Wrenches | Unclogging a Drain
– Method 1: Unclog your sink by removing and cleaning the drain
– Method 2: Unclog your sink with a plunger
– Method 3: Unclog a sink with a pressure washer
– Method 4: Unclog the sink with a chemical product
It is common for food, grease, or any dirt to get lodged in your sink’s trap and clog it. The clogged trap prevents water from draining normally and can cause your sink to overflow.
Unclogging a drain is easy to do yourself. In most cases, it takes less than half an hour to unblock your sink.
Method 1: Unclog your sink by removing and cleaning the trap
Removing the drain and cleaning it is the most effective way to deal with a clogged sink.
– First, place a bowl filled with a few inches of water under the trap.
– With a pair of pliers or a large wrench, unscrew the rings that hold the trap in place.
– Let the impurities drain into the basin.
– Empty and clean the base of the trap with a sponge and a cleaning product.
– Check the condition of the seal in the base. If it is damaged, do not hesitate to change it.
– Assemble the trap parts with the threaded rings and screw them back into place.
If the clog formed by the impurities was not in the trap, it might have slipped into the pipe. To push it out and unclog your sink, use a plunger.
Method 2: Unclog your sink with a plunger
The use of a plunger should not be systematic. Check the drain first, then use the plunger, and only then the plunger if the previous method was not enough to unclog your sink.
The action of the plunger should dislodge and push out the clogs that obstruct the drain and prevent the flow of water.
The plunger is used in the following manner:
– Fill the sink pan with a few inches of water.
Plug the sink overflow with a sponge or cloth to avoid splashing and facilitate the suction cup’s action.
– Place the suction cup over the drain and turn it up and down.
Caution: If your installation is fragile, do not use a suction cup, as it may damage it.
Method 3: Unclog a sink with a pressure washer
Using a pressure unclogger is similar to using a plunger. However, its action is more powerful.
Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions when you buy a pressure unblocker.
Note: The pressure unblocker puts your sink installation to the test. Do not use it if the drainpipe is weak.
Method 4: Unclog the sink with a chemical
You can find a large number of chemical unblockers on the market. However, these products are aggressive to the trap and the pipes and are toxic to the environment.
If you still need to unclog a sink with a chemical drain opener (e.g., because the clog cannot be removed with a drain cleaner), refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for the dosage and the way to use the product.
If the chemical unblocker is not enough, you will have to use another method. But be careful to protect yourself with household gloves, glasses, and cotton clothes, because the product will have remained in the pipes, and you may splash.
Equipment for unclogging a sink
|Pressure Plugs||Starting at $15|
|Gaskets||Starting at $2|
|Pliers||Starting at $2|
|Chemical drain opener||From $3|
|Suction cup||Starting at $2|
How did you find this post? Remember to comment below.